Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. It is extremely delicious and uses no eggs or heavy cream.
peanut butter patties
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
ice cream base
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- For Peanut Butter Patties.
- Stir together the peanut butter and sugar in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Cover a dinner plate with plastic wrap.
- Using a spoon and your finger, scoop up small pieces of the peanut butter mixture, about ½ teaspoon each, and drop them onto the wrap covered dinner plate.
- It may help to refrigerate the peanut butter for a few minutes, to make it less sticky.
- Once you’ve used all of the mixture, put the plate in the freezer overnight.
- For Ice Cream Base.
- Whisk together the half-and-half, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan.
- Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up).
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- After you’ve removed the ice cream from the machine, stir in the peanut butter patties by hand.
I made the ice cream base and loved it. Instead of adding the peanut butter patties, I added crushed Oreos.
this recipe has such an awesome rich flavor and is incredibly simple to make! i added some chocolate curls on top for a little more chocolate but I will definitely be making it again. I have to be careful because of all the calories, but it is amazing!
Oh so good. Followed the recipe and ended up with some yummy ice cream, This will be made again and again, the family really enjoyed it, esp. the kids. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe.