Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
The ice cream is ready to serve as soon as the ice cream maker stops! I used 1 C whole milk, and 1/2 C 2% milk.
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- Melt chocolate over low heat.
- Gradually stir in cocoa powder and milk while continuing to heat.
- Beat sugar into eggs in a separate bowl.
- Stir hot chocolate/milk mixture into eggs.
- Add cream and vanilla extract.
- Just before adding to ice cream maker, stir a cup of ice cream mixture into peanut butter.
- Once mixed, stir into rest of ice cream mixture.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- I used all-natural peanut butter (100% ground peanuts).
This recipe is intense. I'm not big on a chocolate or peanut butter ice cream but everyone else thought it was great... even my future sister in law who is a chocolate peanut butter ice cream fanatic.
I used the ingredients for this recipe but I used the method described in French Chocolate Ice Cream, French Chocolate Ice Cream to put it together. That recipe has similar ingredients but cooks the eggs until the mixture is thick, whereas this recipe just adds the warm chocolate and milk mixture to the eggs without further cooking. The ice cream turned out great. It had a nicely balanced chocolate and peanut butter flavor.
I used a dark cocoa powder. This ice cream is very yummy. I used chocolate chips. I used only whole milk and of course the whipping cream. Thanks Absarunnin :) Made for PAC spring 2011