Recipe by breezermom
This recipe is a little different from others on the site! The chocolate is on top! Cook and prep time does not include the 20 minutes in the refrigerator to set the chocolate.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Followed your recipe right on down, but guess my balls were a bit bigger than the recipe called for, because I managed almost 5 dozen, which was not a problem at all! A large portion of these great little tasties went off with my other half to share at one of his weekly meetings, but I managed to keep 18 of 'em right here at home for this chocoholic to enjoy! Liked the frosting & another time wouldn't mind doubling the amount for a bigger chocolate hit from each bite! Still, very, very satisfying! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday recipe tag]
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (you may substitute chunky)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups regular oats, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the peanut butter and butter; gradually add the sugar, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add water, egg, and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine oats, flour, and baking soda; add to the peanut butter mixture, mixing well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten with a fork dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are golden. Let cookies cool completely on wire racks.
- Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in the top of a double boiler. Bring water to a boil; reduce heat to low, and cook until the chocolate and shortening melt, stirring occasionally. Spread about 1/2 tsp chocolate mixture on top of each cooled cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with chopped peanuts.
- Chill cookies 20 minutes for the chocolate to set.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.