Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 5 mins
This is sheer decadence that's awesome! My nurse, Barbara Polynice had a big Thanksgiving Dinner Party and these were served. There was a large array of desserts but this one was the favorite. Cooking Light, December 2006.
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 (1 ounce) bittersweet chocolate square
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups cake flour (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup Nestle milk chocolate and peanut butter swirled morsels
- 2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1 ounce) bittersweet chocolate squares, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- peanuts, ground into meal, garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- TO PREPARE CAKE:.
- Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper.
- Lightly coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust pans with 1 tablespoon flour; shake out any excess.
- Combine cocoa, 1/2 cup boiling water, and 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate in a small bowl, stirring until smooth; cool.
- Place 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Add egg substitute; beat well.
- Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine buttermilk, sour cream, and 2 teaspoons vanilla, stirring well.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in cocoa mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Remove wax paper; discard.
- Cool cakes completely on wire racks.
- TO PREPARE FILLING:.
- Place chips in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at high for 1 minute, stirring every 15 seconds.
- Cool slightly.
- Fold 1/4 cup whipped topping into melted chips.
- Repeat procedure 7 times with remaining whipped topping.
- Chill 1 hour.
- TO PREPARE GANACHE:.
- Combine 2/3 cup granulated sugar and all ingredients, except vanilla extract, in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil.
- Cook 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves and chocolate melts, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla; cool completely.
- Chill 30 minutes or until thick.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; top with filling, spreading out to edges.
- Place remaining cake layer on filling.
- Spread ganache evenly over top of cake; let drip down sides.
- Sprinkle with ground peanuts.
- Chill 20 minutes or until set.
- Serve and enjoy!