Recipe by evelyn/athens
If you love chocolate and peanut butter, then this is the cake for you.
Top Review by LAURIE
This is an awesome cake, even if I did do a few things differently! First off I made them as cupcakes in my larger size muffin pan and filled them a little fuller so that they would rise up higher. I did not use the coffee liquid as a personal preference and because some of these were going to a bake sale. I had a tube of ready to spread vanilla cream cheese frosting to which I mixed in about 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter. Used that to spread on the cooled cupcakes and then rolled the tops in a mixture of chopped peanuts and chopped peanut butter cups. Those that went to the bake sale were individually wrapped in fall celophane goodie bags and tied with a orange ribbon. They sold for $1.50 a piece! The rest my kids inhaled!! Great cake Evelyn!!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup cold coffee or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1⁄2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur or 1⁄2 cup cold coffee or 1⁄2 cup water
- peanut butter cream cheese frosting (Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting)
- 1 (14 ounce) packageone inch peanut butter cups, coarsley chopped
- chocolate mocha cream cheese frosting (Chocolate Mocha Cream Cheese Icing)
- 1 cup finely chopped peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bottom and side of 2 round pans, 9 x 1 1/2 inches, with shortening; lightly flour.
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until blended.
- Beat in buttermilk and coffee.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Stir in peanut butter chips.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 30- 33 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 mins; remove from pans to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Cut each cake horizontally to make 2 layers.
- (Mark side of cake with toothpicks and cut with long, thin serrated knife.) Drizzle 2 TBS of the liqueur over cut side of each layer.
- Place 1 layer, cut side up, on serving plate.
- Spread with 1/4 cup of the PB Cream Cheese Frosting to within 1/4" of edge.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped PB cups.
- Repeat with remaining layers, placing second and top layers cut side down.
- Frost side of cake with Chocolate Mocha Cream Cheese Icing.
- Press peanuts on side of cake.
- Top with remaining PB Cups.
- Store covered in refrigerator.