Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from Southern Living. These peanut butter balls are delicious! I make them every Christmas. I go to a cake decorating store to buy the melting chocolate. We prefer the dark chocolate over milk chocolate, but both are good! Prep time is a "guesstimate". This can be time consuming, but well worth it!!!
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) jar crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped nuts (I use pecans)
- chocolate candy coating, melted
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well.
- Stir in graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and nuts.
- Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes or so, which will make it easier to form the balls.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Place balls in chocolate coating, rolling to coat evenly.
- Remove balls with a spoon, allowing excess coating to drain off.
- Place balls on wax paper to set.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Can be frozen up to 2 months.
I halved this recipe and made it. I substituted the butter with margarine and did not add any nuts or chocolate candy coating. After step 2, when I tried shaping the mixture into 1 inch sized balls, due to the excessive amount of margarine(1/2 cup) as per the recipe(after halving all the ingredients), I could not succeed in doing so. So, I added 2 cups more of freshly grated coconut and 1/4 cup of Fruit n' Fibre cereal(to make it slightly more healthy) and then mixed everything together and I was able to shape it into balls. Still, these balls were quite soft and for fear that they shouldn't break, I froze them for 6 hours before serving them. My dad enjoyed them immensely and has requested them for Diwali this year. Thank you very much for sharing these.