Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was tucked away in a cookbook & forgotten for many years. It's from my mom's recipe 'file.'Although it's been years since I've made it, I do remember the nice taste of peaches & chocolate! Preparation time does not include the 5-6 hours to set up in the refrigerator.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 (29 ounce) can canned peaches, sliced, drained, chopped, reserve 5 slices
- 11 ounces loaf poundcake, 12 slices
- In heavy saucepan, blend condensed milk & butter, & cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until butter melts.
- In large mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, vanilla & almond extracts, beating until fluffy.
- Gradually add condensed milk mixture, beating until smooth.
- Add cocoa & beat well, then refrigerate 5 minutes.
- Beat whipping cream until stiff.
- Gradually fold the stiff cream into chocolate mixture.
- Fold in chopped peaches.
- Line bottom & sides of a glass bowl with cake slices neatly positioned, then spoon in chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate 5-6 hours, then garnish with reserved peach slices & serve.
This is a wonderful dessert. It must be healthy, it does have fruit in it! ;0 I did lighten it up the best I could with low fat sweetened condensed milk and low fat cream cheese. It still tastes amazingly rich but not overly sweet. The cake does not seem to absorb the pudding which my family really liked (unlike a trifle). I did serve it in my trifle bowl and it looked very inviting. A nice rich chocolate end to the meal. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe.