Recipe by Olha
"Elegant" Perfectly describes this crisp-on-the outside, marshmallow-soft-on-the-inside puff, crowned luxuriously with cream, strawberries and a drizzle of bittersweet chocolate.
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or greased and floured foil. Using 8-inch cake pan as guide, draw circle on paper; turn paper over.
- In bowl, beat together egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, about 3 tablespoons at a time, until stiff and glossy peaks form. sift cocoa and cornstarch over top; gently fold together. Gently fold in vinegar, vanilla, then chocolate.
- Mound onto circle on prepared baking sheet. Bake in center of 275°F oven for 1 1/2 hours or until crispy outside but still soft in center. slice long metal spatula under meringue to loosen; transfer to rack and let cool completely. Place on serving platter.
- TOPPING: slice or halve strawberries. In bowl, whip cream with sugar; spread over meringue. Arrange strawberries decoratively over top. Drizzle chocolate over berries. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- TIPS: Eggs separate better when cold but beat up to a higher volume when at room temperature.
- If you have no bittersweet chocolate on hand to drizzle over the berries, just sieve some unsweetened cocoa powder over top for a dazzling effect.
- Canadian Living's Best Chocolate.