Recipe by JustJanS
I saw this in an Australian magazine recently and thought it would be a nice dinner party dessert. A bit high in cals, but that's ok once in a while and nice if you halved the recipe for a romantic dinner.
Top Review by Karin...
Jan, this is such a unique idea!! You suggested having this with coffee after dinner.....but we had it with coffee early in the afternoon spread on slices of my Banana Nut Bread! SOOOOOOOOO delicious!! I'm definately going to make it again to have at our next dinner party with coffee! Thanks for posting this great recipe, Jan!
- 200 g dark chocolate, broken up
- 375 ml whipping cream, brought to boiling point but not boiled
- 60 g butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 20 ml Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueuer)
- 1⁄4 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried pear, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 1⁄4 cup glace cherries, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the chocolate in a heat resistant bowl over gently simmering water.
- Blend in the cream and butter.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat until cooled and slightly thickened.
- whisk in the egg yolks and Grand Marnier.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture along with the fruit and nuts.
- Spoon into serving dishes, and refrigerate covered until required.
- Serve with almond bread and/or fresh fruit.