Recipe by Impera_Magna
I first made this for my DD, who is a major choco-holic, for her 16th birthday; she was one happy camper and we all enjoyed it very much. Recipe is from Southern Living and the blurb accompanying it reads: "...six layers of chocolate-y delight...mounded with whipped cream and sprinkled w/ nuts..." Definitely an impressive and delicious dessert!
- 2 (4 ounce) packages sweet baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (11 ounce) package pie crusts (sticks)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- chopped pecans
- chocolate curls (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chocolate, sugar, water, and coffee in saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Blend in vanilla; allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare piecrust according to package directions, omitting water.
- Blend 3/4 of the chocolate mixture unto piecrust mix; divide into six equal parts.
- Press each part unto the bottom of an inverted 8" round pan to within 1/2" of edge.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5-8 minutes.
- While layers are still warm, trim to even edges if desired.
- Let cool; then run the tip of a knife under edges to loosen.
- Lift carefully, transfer to wire cake rack.
- Whip cream to soft peak stage; fold in remaining chocolate sauce.
- Spread chocolate cream between layers and over top.
- Chill overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Top w/ chopped nuts and/or chocolate curls.
- Makes 9-12 servings depending on how many chocolate lovers you're serving!