This recipe makes a pliable chocolate paste. It has the texture of marzipan and is easy to work with. It can be used to make ropes, braids, ribbons, ruffles, flowers, or leaves. Can be made with bittersweet, semi-sweet, milk or white chocolate. Recipe from joyofbaking. Recipe is for bittersweet chocolate, variations with other types of chocolate included in instructions. Yield depends on the type of decorations you're making. Prep/Cook time excludes chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave, stirring until melted and smooth and cool slightly.
- 2Stir in the corn syrup (chocolate will stiffen almost immediately) until completely combined.
- 3Transfer chocolate to a plastic freezer bag and refrigerate until firm (about two hours).
- 4When the paste is firm, remove from the refrigerator, and knead it until it is soft enough to work with.
- 5Tip: If it is too hard, cut off small pieces, and knead until pliable and grease the counter where you are working with oil or spray with Pam so the chocolate won't stick.
- 6You can make the chocolate into whatever shape you want- it can be formed into a long rope/braid and wrapped around the base of the cake, or made into flowers, leaves, or any other decorations.
- 7Another example is to pat the dough into a disk shape between plastic wrap or parchment and roll it out to desired thickness using a rolling pin, then cut into desired shapes or strips.
- 8It will keep for months, wrapped properly (if it gets hard to work with knead in a little more corn syrup until it is pliable again).
- 9Semi-Sweet Chocolate Modeling Paste- use 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate and 3 1/2- 4 TB light corn syrup.
- 10White Chocolate Modeling Paste- use 7 ounces (200 grams) white chocolate, chopped and 1 1/2- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup.
- 11Milk Chocolate Modeling Paste- use 7 ounces Milk Chocolate and 2 1/2- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup.
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Paste (for Cake Decorations)
Serving Size: 1 (23 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 20.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 0.0 g