Recipe by Sandylee
This cake is a variation or my own twist on a cake called Stripe It Rich which was on the back of a Jello Brand Instant Pudding box some 30 plus years ago. I must say this cake was "Awesome" the way it was first written....but has become "To Die For" with this additional twist.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix, made according to directions
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (per my cake box directions)
- 1⁄2 cup oil (per my cake box directions)
- 3 eggs (per my cake box directions)
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages chocolate instant pudding
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 13x9 inch pan.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box.
- Using your brand's directions for amount of oil, water, and eggs.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake as directed.
- While still hot, poke holes down through cake with the large round end of a wooden spoon at approximately one inch intervals.
- ONLY AFTER poking holes, combine pudding mix and confectioners sugar.
- Gradually stir in milk, then beat at low speed for not more than one minute.
- Do Not Over Beat.
- QUICKLY before pudding thickens, pour into the holes in the cake.
- If there is any left over, allow it to thicken slightly and spread over the top of cake.
- Place dollops of Cherry pie filling over top of cake.
- Top with Cool Whip.
- Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Cut into squares to serve.