Recipe by Witch Doctor
An exquisite blending of the tastes of cocoa and oranges. Light, fluffy pancakes layered with an orange mousse!
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (save the egg white for the mousse)
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
For the Orange Mousse
- 1⁄2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3 egg whites
- 7⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 pint heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Mix dry ingredients with all the wet ingredients and let pancake batter sit to rest for 20 minutes.
- Ladle pancake batter onto hot griddle, just as you would regular pancakes. Pancakes should have about a 3-inch diameter. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side. Makes 12-15 pancakes.
- For the Orange Mousse:.
- In a double boiler whisk together egg whites and sugar, until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot.
- Using a mixer, beat egg mixture until soft peaks form (this is now considered a meringue).
- Whip the heavy cream.
- Fold the concentrated orange into the meringue, and then fold in whipped heavy cream.
- Top a pancake with mousse, and repeat layers twice more so that each serving includes three pancakes.