Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Me and the gals love Oreo cookies. Between us, we can eat a package in about 20 min. So, for a get-together, I came up with this for my part of the meal (we eat together every time we get together!) This big ole "cookie" is easy and inexpensive enough to make any old night of the week and appears elegant enough to be the Grande Finale of a birthday meal. Beware dieters, weight watchers, diabetics, and health food eaters, this is NOT FOR YOU...unless you just wanna splurge a bit!
- 1 (18 ounce) boxbetty crocker devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed if frozen
- 12 Oreo cookies or 12 other chocolate sandwich style cookies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chocolate frosting (from a can is fine)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the cake mix with the oil, water, and eggs. Bake in two 9-in cake pans per directions on the box.
- While cake is baking, cream the sugar and softened cream cheese together until fluffy. Fold in the cool whip and crushed cookies. Set aside.
- Cool cakes completely.
- To assemble, place one cake, top side down, on the plate. Spread cream cheese "middle" on the top. Top the middle with the second cake, top side down. Place the one cup of chocolate frosting in the microwave just long enough to soften to make it easier to spread. Let cool just a second if too runny. Spread on the top of the cake, but not the sides.
- NOTE: You can omit the crushed cookies if you don't have them on hand. Then the cake itself becomes as a true oreo cookie. YUM!
This cake is so easy to make and so delish.You can decorate/dress it in so many ways.My second time making it.I'll post pics soon.
Excellent and easy recipe! My apologies for not rating this recipe sooner, as I am making this cake for the third time. The cake and filling taste great and the presentation earns high praises. In addition to the melted chocolate frosting topper, I like to cut Oreo cookies in half and decorate the top. Thank you for the posting!