Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
From the Cook's Chocolate Library. To make the marbled chocolate you can a) buy marbled chocolate....or b) spread melted semisweet chocolate on parchment, then drip a stream of melted white chocolate through it. Marble with a toothpick and let set until firm.
- Break up the trifle sponges and place in a large glass serving bowl. Sprinkle the crumbled macaroons on top, then sprinkle the sherry.
- Squeeze the juice from two mandarins and sprinkle it over the macaroons. Peel and segment 6 mandarins and arrange them in the dish.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch to make a paste. Bring the milk to just below boiling in a small pan. Remove and pour it into the egg yolk mixture.
- Return the custard to a clean pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid curdling.
- When custard is thick, return it to the bowl, then stir in the mascarpone and melted chocolate until thoroughly combined. Spread the custard evenly over the trifle and chill for 1 hour.
- Whip the cream until thick, then spread over the top of the trifle. Decorate with marbled chocolate shapes and remaining mandarin orange segments.