Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Cook's Chocolate Library. To make the marbled chocolate you can a) buy marbled chocolate....or b) spread melted semisweet chocolate on parchment, then drip a stream of melted white chocolate through it. Marble with a toothpick and let set until firm.
- Break up the trifle sponges and place in a large glass serving bowl. Sprinkle the crumbled macaroons on top, then sprinkle the sherry.
- Squeeze the juice from two mandarins and sprinkle it over the macaroons. Peel and segment 6 mandarins and arrange them in the dish.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch to make a paste. Bring the milk to just below boiling in a small pan. Remove and pour it into the egg yolk mixture.
- Return the custard to a clean pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid curdling.
- When custard is thick, return it to the bowl, then stir in the mascarpone and melted chocolate until thoroughly combined. Spread the custard evenly over the trifle and chill for 1 hour.
- Whip the cream until thick, then spread over the top of the trifle. Decorate with marbled chocolate shapes and remaining mandarin orange segments.