Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Special synergy. Here a store-bought chocolate muffin mix is enhanced with chopped almonds, fresh orange juice and zest for a dessert that tastes just as good as homemade. For the sauce, simmer orange juice and sugar on the stove for 10 minutes then drizzle over individual slices. Garnish with a hint of orange zest.
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) package slivered almonds (1/2 cup)
- 4 oranges
- 1 (20 ounce) packagedouble chocolate muffin mix
- 1 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 375°. Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. Finely chop the almonds. Grate 1 teaspoon orange zest from one of the oranges and cut strips of zest from another to use for garnish. Squeeze 1 1/2 cups juice from the oranges.
- Prepare the muffin mix according to the label directions but substitute 3/4 cup of the orange juice for water and blend in the chopped almonds and grated zest. Pour into pan. Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool torte in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and the remaining 3/4 cup orange juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. To serve, spoon the sauce over the torte and garnish with the orange-zest strips.