Recipe by MechanicalJen
Found in "Better Homes & Gardens: Favorite Bars & Cookies" that I found at a yardsale. This recipe jumped out at me immediately. I think it is one of the most impressive cookie recipes I've ever made. I've shortened the steps, as I don't think the level of presentation they ask for is needed. Enjoy!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (I used 1 tsp extract, very orangey!)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bown, beat butter with a mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powde, salt. Beat until combined.
- Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour.
- Divide dough in half. Stir orange zest/extract into one portion, melted chocolate into the other.
- Pinch off small, equal portions of each type of dough, rolling it into a ball between your fingers. (This dough is supposed to yield 60 cookies, so you can make more or less, just make 60 balls of each flavor.) Combine one chocolate ball with one orange ball, rolling them together between your palms. Flatten if needed.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and place in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cookie rack.