Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Its moist and crisp at the same time. It was given to me by my best friend. Don't tell too many people that you are cooking them or you might not get any to eat yourself.
- 2 large eggs
- 175 g sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 oranges, rind of, only
- 200 g self raising flour
- 50 g plain flour, or Spelt Flour
- 250 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 125 g dates, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 80 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Beat eggs, sugar, salt, almond extract and orange rind till fluffy and pale in colour.
- Mix in the flours, chopped nuts, chopped dates and chopped chocolate.
- divide into 2 equal sized lots and form into logs.
- Put onto greased baking tray and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until just golden.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes and slice any angle you like into 1/2 centimetre slices and lay on greased baking tray and return to oven to bake for another 8 to 10 minutes.