Recipe by mary winecoff
Giada De Laurentiis' recipe. This uses a chocolate cake mix. You can buy candied orange peel at the store or make your own using one of Recipezaar's. The Limoncello can be substituted by lemon juice but the lemon flavor is more intense by using the liqueur.
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice (instead of water in the cake mix)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 cup candied orange peel, diced
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons limoncello
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 1⁄4 cup candied orange peel, finely diced for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Make cupcakes: Mix the chocolate cake mix according to instructions substituting orange juice for the water.
- Toss the chocolate chips with the flour.
- Fold the chocolate chips and the candied orange peel into the chocolate mixture.
- Line the muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Fill and bake the cupcakes according to instructions on package.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 1 hour on a wire rack.
- Frosting: Combine all ingredients except the candied orange peel in medium bowl
- Using hand mixer, beat until smooth about 2 minutes.
- Using a small spatula, place 1 Tablespoon of frosting on top of cupcake.
- Top with small sprinkle of candied orange peel.