Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I whipped these up for Valentine's Day and thought they came out nicely! I wasn't feeling daring enough to make cake from scratch, so I did utilize a box mix and pre-made frosting, but these are easy to throw together.
- 1 (18 ounce) box dark chocolate cake mix (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice (no pulp)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (I used Taster's Choice)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chocolate frosting (I used Betty Crocker...with Herhsey's)
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup baking chocolate
- colored sprinkles, Confections, etc
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, orange juice, orange zest, vegetable oil, eggs, and instant coffee. Beat with electric mixer on medium for two minutes.
- Scoop mixture into lined cupcake tins and bake for 19 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to boil.
- Place a glass bowl into the saucepan of boiling water, and add white chocolate to the glass bowl. Continuously stir the chocolate with a spatula until melted. (Have a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper ready for the next step.).
- Remove glass bowl and quickly spread the melted chocolate onto parchment paper to form a thin layer (about 1/4" thick).
- Sprinkle confections, sprinkles, or candy onto chocolate while still hot. Then, let cool.
- With a cookie cutter, carefully cut out shapes.
- Frost cupcakes as desired, and then top with the chocolate bark.