Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This delectable cupcake recipe comes from Fran Gage.
For the Cupcakes
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
For the Frosting
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, stir the cocoa powder into the hot water until it dissolves; set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a bowl.
- Using the finest rasps of a hand held grater, grate the zest from the orange into the bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla, then the dissolved cocoa.
- Whisk in the melted butter, then the dry ingredients.
- Using a tablespoon, divide the batter among the muffin cups filling each about half full.
- Bake until the cupcakes are puffed and a skewer inserted into the center of one comes out clean 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan.
- To make the frosting, melt the chocolate in a double-boiler or in the microwave and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, using a stand mixer, beat the butter and confectioners' sugar with the paddle on medium speed until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the melted chocolate until combined.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip with the frosting and pipe a spiral on top of each cupcake.
- Refrigerate the cupcakes until 30 minutes before serving to set the frosting.
these were delicious i used hot orange juice as suggested and they were perfect
These were delicious. I didn't use the frosting though. I made the frosting from Orange Chocolate Marble Cake with Orange Buttercream Frosting Orange Chocolate Marble Cake with Orange Buttercream Frosting. I also changed this just a tad. I didn't think there would enough orange flavor with just the zest so in place of the hot water I used orange juice. I didn't change the amount just replaced it.
Did not make the frosting as they were delicious without!! Thanks ev!! :)