Recipe by Chez Michelle
Bon Appétit | March 2007 These have a finished, pastry-shop look but require astoundingly little effort. The stacks need to chill at least six hours, so get started early in the day — or the night before Chefs note: I have not made these yet- I am posting because I plan to make soon. I read the reviews and some people had a problem with whipped cream getting to peak stage- I will test out and report-- unless someone beats me :) One reviewer added Cointreau to the whipped cream Sounds Yummy! :) Update: What was a waiting for?? Delicious!! This could be very versatile recipe...
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, partially thawed
- 40 chocolate wafer cookies (about one 9-ounce package)
- finely grated orange peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Using electric mixer, beat cream and orange juice concentrate in medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Place 8 cookies on rimmed baking sheet, spacing apart. Spoon about 1 level tablespoon whipped orange cream atop each cookie, then top each with second cookie and another tablespoon cream. Repeat 2 more times with cookies and cream, creating 8 stacks of 4 cookies with 4 layers of orange cream. Top each stack with fifth cookie. Transfer remaining orange cream to small bowl; cover and chill cream. Cover and chill stacks at least 6 hours or overnight (cookies will soften).
- Carefully transfer 1 stack to each of 8 plates. Rewhisk reserved orange cream, if necessary, until stiff peaks form. Spoon dollop of orange cream atop each stack, sprinkle with grated orange peel, and serve.