Recipe by Mirj
These cookies are super-packed with intense flavors.
Top Review by jessi-ryan
These are pleasntly different, with a nice, subtle orange flavor. Plus, they bake so well--chewy with a crusty outside. For fat I used 7 tbs. of butter and 3 tbs. of olive oil to cut down on saturated fat with no difference in the flavor whatsoever. These cookies didn't last 2 days.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350º.
- Beat 1 cup sugar, butter, 1 tablespoon grated orange peel and the egg in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate morsels.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon grated orange peel.
- Roll balls in sugar mixture.
- Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness with bottom of glass.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until set.
- Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet.
- Cool on wire rack.