Recipe by HearthBeats
This recipe uses leftover pulp from juicing oranges and carrots combined with a box cake mix to make a rich, moist, hearty cake with a flavor similar to a tootsie roll.
Ingredients for Cake
- 1 duncan hines brand moist deluxe devil's food cake mix, 18 . 25 oz (1 lb 2.25 oz)
- 2 tablespoons hershey's brand european style Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups oranges, & carrot pulp (from 3 oranges and 6 carrots)
Ingredients for Frosting (quantities listed are for a double-batch of frosting)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 ounces butter
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 3 -4 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Directions for Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a blender, process orange and carrot pulp with eggs, oil and water. Add cocoa powder to dry cake mix and stir, then fold in pulp mixture. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans. Divide batter between pans. Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Directions for Frosting: Mix together softened cream cheese and butter. Stir in orange oil, orange zest, cocoa powder and milk. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until desired constancy.
- When the cakes have cooled, frost & serve!