Chef #326382's Note:
A show-stopping classic rolled cake that may remind you of a jellyroll. This never-fail cake is wrapped around a flavored whipped cream filling and also has a quick sauce to compliment, if desired. The steps may seem lengthy, but these are really quick and easy to prepare. They are great to have in the freezer for drop-in guests or last minute gifts. Check out these other Roulage recipes as well (Toffee-Pecan Roulage, Chocolate-Cranberry Roulage and Chocolate-Mint Roulage).
My Private Note
cake ro ...
Units: US | Metric
Cake Roll Ingredients
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box cake mix, Swiss chocolate, devil's food, fudge
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 6 tablespoons other orange-flavored liqueur, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- orange rind, curls
- orange sauce
Chocolate-Orange Sauce (optional)
- 1Cake Roll:.
- 2Coat 2 (15 x 10 x 1-inch) jellyroll pans with cooking spray; line with wax paper, and coat again with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 3Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl at medium-high speed with an electric mixer 5 minutes. Add water, beating at low speed to blend. Gradually add cake mix, beating at low speed until moistened. Beat at medium-high speed 2 minutes. Divide batter in half, and spread batter evenly into prepared pans. (Layers will be thin.).
- 4Bake each cake at 350 on the middle rack for 13 minutes or until cake springs back when touched in the center.
- 5When cakes are done, immediately loosen from sides of pans. Sift 4 tablespoons cocoa (or more, as needed) either directly on top of cake or onto a cloth towel. (Do not use terry cloth to avoid sticking.) Turn each cake out onto the prepared towels. Peel off wax paper. Starting at narrow end, roll up each cake and towel together; place cakes, seam side down, in freezer for 15 minutes (recommended), in regrigerator for 1 hour or on wire racks. Cool cakes completely. Yield: 2 cake rolls.
- 7Beat whipping cream at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier and orange rind; set aside.
- 8Unroll cake rolls; brush each lightly with remaining 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier. Spread each cake with half of whipped cream mixture. Reroll cakes without towels; place seam side down, on a baking sheet. Cover and freeze at least 1 hour (or up to 3 months, wrapped in foil.).
- 9Dust cakes with cocoa, and cut into slices (cakes thaw almost as quickly as you can slice them.) Garnish, if desired. Yield: 5 to 6 servings each cake roll.
- 11Heat half-and-half in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in chocolate morsels, marshmallows, and salt. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate and marshmallows melt. Remove from heat; stir in Grand Marnier. Yield: 2 cups.
- 12* 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted, may be substituted.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Orange Cake Roll (Roulage)
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1414.3
- Calories from Fat 711
- Total Fat 79.0 g
- Saturated Fat 41.7 g
- Cholesterol 315.7 mg
- Sodium 931.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 160.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 114.2 g
- Protein 17.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: