Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
goes with orange frosting
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- preheat oven to 350 F.
- combine first 6 dry ingredients in large bowl.
- add eggs,milk,oil and vanilla. beat at medium speed for 2 min or until smooth.
- stir in boiling water. mix well. pour batter in 2 8" or 9" round cake pans evenly.
- bake at 350 F for 35-40 min or until toothpick comes out clean. cool 10 min, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- use orange frosting to frost.
This recipe made a lovely dark chocolate cake, with an excellent crumb. The cake was tall, moist and tender. It had a really nice dark chocolate flavor. I iced it with your orange frosting for a very special treat. Even the picky dh enjoyed this cake. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Made for Spring Pac 2014.
This is an excellent cake and my first try at a acratch recipe. Have just recently started baking and did not have round pans so made this in a 9 X 13 pan and it turned out great. Had to bake for about 45 minutes (and should have given it about 5 more). Did have question as to pan prep, should it be greased and floured? Used the orange frosting recipe you provided. Will say it is a moist flavorful cake and will definitely make again. Took this to a bbq and everyone loved it. Thanks.