Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another gem from the Women's Weekly 'Cupcakes' book, this is a dark chocolately orange muffin with almond overtones. Elegant, full of flavour and popular with both young and old. Note that as this is with Australian metric cups I have included the gram weight as well.
- 60 g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated orange rind
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice (160ml)
- 90 g butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup self-raising flour (100g)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup almond meal (40g, I have used flaked almonds crushed in a food processor as a substitute)
- Pre-heat oven to moderately slow (170ºC) and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine chocolate, rind and juice in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth.
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Stir in sifted flour and cocoa powder, almond meal and warm chocolate mixture.
- Divide among the muffin holes smoothing the surface of the muffins.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes depending on your oven. Test with a skewer to be sure.
- Cool and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- Note: These can be iced if you like, I suggest Recipe #89207.