Perfectionist cook's Note:
Another gem from the Women's Weekly 'Cupcakes' book, this is a dark chocolately orange muffin with almond overtones. Elegant, full of flavour and popular with both young and old. Note that as this is with Australian metric cups I have included the gram weight as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 60 g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated orange rind
- 2/3 cup orange juice (160ml)
- 90 g butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour (100g)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup almond meal (40g, I have used flaked almonds crushed in a food processor as a substitute)
- 1Pre-heat oven to moderately slow (170ºC) and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners.
- 2Combine chocolate, rind and juice in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth.
- 3Beat butter, sugar and eggs in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- 4Stir in sifted flour and cocoa powder, almond meal and warm chocolate mixture.
- 5Divide among the muffin holes smoothing the surface of the muffins.
- 6Bake for approximately 25 minutes depending on your oven. Test with a skewer to be sure.
- 7Cool and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- 8Note: These can be iced if you like, I suggest Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting/Icing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Orange-Almond Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (762 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.1
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 51.2 mg
- Sodium 151.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g