Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 12 ferrero rocher candies, unwrapped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup nutella
- 1 pinch salt
- For the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place cupcake liners into cupcake pan.
- Beat together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- Beat butter until soft and creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat for two minutes, until it is blended into the butter. Add the egg, beat for one minute then add the yolk, beating for another minute.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Add half the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk and mix well.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix again.
- Fold in the melted chocolate with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter into the prepared cupcake liner.
- Press one Ferrero Rocher into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 22 - 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffin pan to a cooling rack and allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Cool to room temperature before frosting.
- For the buttercream.
- Beat butter for 5 minutes on medium speed. Butter will become very pale and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute and then on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Frosting should be very light, creamy, and fluffy and ready to frost cupcakes.