Recipe by JessFontenot
This is my most favorite post-workout breakfast smoothie. Who knew oatmeal could taste so amazing in a smooth, creamy, protein & fiber-packed smoothie? The ingredients in this recipe are ideal for post workout nutrients to feed and help recover lean muscle. Ricotta cheese is pure whey protein, so if you don't have protein mix, skipping it is fine - you'll still get the benefits of whey protein (fast absorption). This shake holds me over until lunch, and gives me great energy. Not to mention, it's like dessert! **Don't forget to soak your oatmeal overnight.** Soaking is more ideal nutritionally than cooking the oatmeal first, which some oatmeal smoothie recipes instruct. Also, I've made the same smoothie and added banana and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Also very good! Enjoy!
Top Review by Lalaloula
This smoothie is thick, refreshing, fills you up til lunch and tastes pretty nice, too. Thumbs up from me! :)
I used two big frozen banana slices in place of the ice cubes as thats what I had on hand and carob powder instead of the protein powder.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this nice healthy recipe with us, Jess!
Made and reviewed for one of my PAC babies Autumn 2011.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats, soaked overnight in 1/2 cup filtered water in your refrigerator
- 1⁄4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat milk, however any milk will do
- 2 ice cubes, just so it is cold
- 25 g chocolate protein powder, make sure it's low sugar, I use Rivalus Promasil in Milk Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, this is optional, I like the extra chocolatiness and boost of flavanoids
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill blender with the soaked oatmeal mixture, ricotta cheese, milk, and ice cubes. Turn on a low blending speed to get it going.
- When things are looking smooth and blended, open the ingredient hatch on the lid of the blender, (or just the lid if yours doesn't have one - just make sure it's going low enough to where you won't have an explosion), and add your protein powder and cocoa powder while it's still going.
- Replace cover and turn on high for a few seconds to make sure it's all nice and smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass with a straw and enjoy!