Recipe by Manami
Haven't tried this particular parfait but have tasted them separately. The prep time is 15 minutes but the cook time is 8 minutes so it is actually quick! To save time, use instant chocolate pudding and store-bought granola. The pudding isn't as rich, but it is quick! They are packed with beneficial whole grains and dairy for a satisfying snack. Southern Living Magazine, September 2007 edition. Chill time 2 hours. Also, if preparing the granola, use old fashioned regular oats, not instant. You will have about 1-1/2 cups of Granola left over.
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oatmeal granola cereal
QUICK OATMEAL GRANOLA
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons light butter or 2 tablespoons light margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups thawed reduced-fat whipped topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is hot.
- Gradually whisk 1/3 cup hot milk mixture into egg in a small bowl.
- Whisk egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat; add chopped chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a glass bowl.
- Place heavy-duty plastic wrap directly on warm mixture (to keep a film from forming), and chill 2 hours or until completely cool.
- PREPARE GRANOLA: While pudding is chilling.
- Stir together honey and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir together oats, flour, sliced almonds, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add honey mixture to oatmeal mixture, stirring until combined.
- Spread oat mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Layer 1 1/2 tablespoons Quick Oatmeal Granola, 3 tablespoons chocolate mixture, and 1/4 cup whipped topping into each of 6 (1 1/2-cup) parfait glasses.
- Repeat layers once; sprinkle each parfait with 1 tablespoons granola.