Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Penzeys, credit going to a 'Brother Aelred'
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups regular oatmeal or 3 cups quick oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the shortening and butter.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and salt.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg with the milk and vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients along with the shortening/butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- It is best to do this by hand, not with a mixer.
- Stir in the oatmeal.
- Drop by the tablespoonful onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on paper towels.