Simple chocolate and oatmeal make these disappear in our house quickly. The recipe has been in my file on a piece of paper for many years, so not sure where it came from, but probably one of my mom's old cookbooks. *For a fudgy, softer cookie, use 1 stick margarine in place of shortening.
- Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- Cream shortening, sugar, egg, vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Add flour mixture, blending well.
- Add rolled oats.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheet and press down with fork lightly.
- Bake at 325° for 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly and remove from baking sheet.
These are excellent! My roommate and I made them just a few minutes ago. We added about 1/8 cup of coffee to the mix. Yum!
My 15 year old daughter baked these today, and we think they're fabulous! Fudgy, chewy, and not overly sweet. Such a good cookie! She used 1 stick of butter instead of shortening. Thanks for sharing this...we love it!