Recipe by Marlene.
Simple chocolate and oatmeal make these disappear in our house quickly. The recipe has been in my file on a piece of paper for many years, so not sure where it came from, but probably one of my mom's old cookbooks. *For a fudgy, softer cookie, use 1 stick margarine in place of shortening.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- Cream shortening, sugar, egg, vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Add flour mixture, blending well.
- Add rolled oats.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheet and press down with fork lightly.
- Bake at 325° for 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly and remove from baking sheet.