Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sure sounds good to me! It's from one of my 3 favorite cookbooks, The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals.
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal in large mixing bowl and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Add shortening, sugar and eggs; mix well.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa and vanilla.
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13" baking pan.
- Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.
Thanks for posting. Incredibly easy to make. Was looking for a recipe w/o brown sugar or butter as my cupboard is bare but I was craving a treat. Like the other reviewer said, the chips sunk into the cake as it cooled. Mine also turned out a bit burnt on top but was only in the oven for 40 minutes. Weird.
this cake is more like a brownie, dense and rich. cooking time was actually 53 minutes. as the cake cooled the chocolate chips that didn't melt sunk into the cake, leaving little holes on the surface, but the kids loved it!