Recipe by Whisper
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sure sounds good to me! It's from one of my 3 favorite cookbooks, The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals.
Top Review by nranger7
Thanks for posting. Incredibly easy to make. Was looking for a recipe w/o brown sugar or butter as my cupboard is bare but I was craving a treat. Like the other reviewer said, the chips sunk into the cake as it cooled. Mine also turned out a bit burnt on top but was only in the oven for 40 minutes. Weird.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal in large mixing bowl and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Add shortening, sugar and eggs; mix well.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa and vanilla.
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13" baking pan.
- Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.