Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from my childhood. I think it was my older sister who found the recipe. These taste great with a tall glass of milk. Makes your house smell wonderful while baking too.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Blend in flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Stir in oatmeal and 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread into a 13 X 9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
These were great! I too was expecting an oatmeal cookie taste, but these were so much better than that! So good!
I expected these bar cookies to taste pretty much like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, however the addition of the nutmeg takes the taste to a whole different level. It introduces a somewhat "peppery" bite to the cookie/brownie, which is unexpected but quite good. To me, these are like an adult version of an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. Thanks for posting the recipe.