Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
A very good cookie. From "The high fiber cookbook for diabetics" by Mabel Cavaiani, R.D.
- 118.29 ml oat bran
- 118.29 ml water, at room temperature
- 59.14-118.29 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml sugar substitute
- 118.29 ml egg white (3 to 4 medium)
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml cocoa
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 29.58 ml dry buttermilk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 158.51 ml miniature chocolate chip
- Mix oat bran and water, let stand at room temperature for 30-45 minutes .
- (This timing is very important.) Cream margarine, sugar and sugar substitute together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites and vanilla and mix at medium speed for 30 seconds Scrape down the bowl Stir flour, cocoa, soda, dry buttermilk and salt together to blend well.
- Add to the creamed mixture along with the oat bran mixture and mix at medium speed to blend.
- Add chocolate chips to dough Drop by tablespoonful onto cookie sheets that have been sprayed with pan spray or lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
- (The cookies will not be crisp if they are not baked the full length of time.) Remove from hot cookie sheets to wire racks to cool.
- Use 1 cookie per serving.
- This recipe is a good source of fiber.
- Food exchanges per serving (1 cookie): 2/3 bread and 1 fat Low sodium diets: omit salt, use salt-free margarine Low-cholesterol diets: May be used as written.
These are good, not so sweet. I replaced the sugar substitute with 1 tsp. stevia. I only had 1 T. cocoa, and didn't miss it. I used 1 cup whole wheat flour, and 1 cup barely flour. Good enough my 2 year old is on his second.
Don't know why nobody has picked up on this recipe before now, as I find these healthy little gems to be GREAT TASTING COOKIES, but then, I'm a chocoholic of the best kind! I actually made these for myself, but then gave most of them away (along with the recipe), dividing them between two of my diabetic friends! Thanks for a very nice keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Diabetes Awareness Month Tag Game]