Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
One of our family's favorite cookies--it wouldn't be Christmas without 'em! Instead of the chopped nuts, use different colored sprinkles for whatever holiday--the kids will be thrilled. This is a genuine FUN recipe to make with children helping...rolling the dough, dipping the chocolate, sprinkling the pretties. We actually make some with nuts, some with sprinkles and some with only chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs until light & fluffy.
- Add salt & mix well, then cup-by-cup add the flour.
- Last, add the chopped chips and mix well.
- Shape dough into little "logs" (about 1 1/2" long).
- Arrange "logs" on UNgreased cookie sheets fairly close together (don't spread much) -- about 14 to a 10x15 sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (golden brown); transfer to a cooling rack.
- Melt the shortening & chocolate chips, stirring to mix smoothly.
- Dip one end of each cookie into the chocolate, scraping off the bottom against the edge of the bowl; dip cookie into chopped nuts, then return it to the cooling rack (place waxed paper underneath to catch the chocolate drips).
- OR sprinkle with seasonal or holiday sprinkles and skip the nuts altogether.
- Let cookies sit on racks until firm.
- Store in covered tins with waxed paper between the layers.
These are great cookies for Christmas! I love the chocolate and nuts! Thanks for sharing!