One of our family's favorite cookies--it wouldn't be Christmas without 'em! Instead of the chopped nuts, use different colored sprinkles for whatever holiday--the kids will be thrilled. This is a genuine FUN recipe to make with children helping...rolling the dough, dipping the chocolate, sprinkling the pretties. We actually make some with nuts, some with sprinkles and some with only chocolate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs until light & fluffy.
- 3Add salt & mix well, then cup-by-cup add the flour.
- 4Last, add the chopped chips and mix well.
- 5Shape dough into little "logs" (about 1 1/2" long).
- 6Arrange "logs" on UNgreased cookie sheets fairly close together (don't spread much) -- about 14 to a 10x15 sheet.
- 7Bake for 12-15 minutes (golden brown); transfer to a cooling rack.
- 8Melt the shortening & chocolate chips, stirring to mix smoothly.
- 9Dip one end of each cookie into the chocolate, scraping off the bottom against the edge of the bowl; dip cookie into chopped nuts, then return it to the cooling rack (place waxed paper underneath to catch the chocolate drips).
- 10OR sprinkle with seasonal or holiday sprinkles and skip the nuts altogether.
- 11Let cookies sit on racks until firm.
- 12Store in covered tins with waxed paper between the layers.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Nut Yule Log Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.7
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 28.8 mg
- Sodium 111.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 2.0 g