Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
A beautiful cake that tastes too good! Adapted from Finecooking(#47).
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄4 cups toasted assorted unsalted nuts (toasted, skinned and chopped hazelnuts, slivered almonds, or walnuts are good)
- 6 ounces flour
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350°F and lightly butter the sides of a 9"x2" round cake pan.
- To make caramel:.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil and pour into the prepared pan, swirling to coat the bottom evenly. Scatter in the nuts evenly and gently press them inches.
- To make the cake:.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add the sugar; continue beating until fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, beating briefly after each addition. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the butter and mix on low speed just until the flour disappears. Add the buttermilk and mix until just blended. Lightly mix in the remaining flour. Scoop spoonfuls of batter onto the nuts and gently spread the batter evenly in the pan. Lightly tap the pan on the counter to settle the ingredients.
- Bake until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Immediately run a paring knife around the inside edge of the pan. Set a flat serving plate on top of the pan and invert the cake. Let the inverted pan rest for about 3 minutes to let the topping settle. Gently remove the pan and serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Decadent! Not something I would make often, due to the calories, etc :) But a great special treat dessert! I used pecans. I should have boiled the caramel a bit longer to thicken it more, since mine got soaked into the cake more, but still delicious. Made for cook-a-thon in honor of Sharon's DH, at Kittencalskitchen.com
Absolutely delicious!! Make with a brownie mix for the chocolate cake (needed to use it) The topping is sooo good. To serve, topped with some warmed Orange Marmalade and whipped cream. Made for the Cake-a-Thon. THX for posting, Sharon. Will make again.