Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From The Little Black Book of Chocolate. Haven't made this yet myself, so I just estimated on the time. Cooking time is setting time. No baking involved but you will need a candy thermometer. Put pieces into decorative clear bags tied with ribbon for a Christmas stocking stuffer.
- Grease a 15" X 10" cookie sheet and set aside.
- Place sugar, butter, salt and water in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture reaches soft-ball stage (234F-240F on candy thermometer).
- Stir in 1/2 cup nuts and pour onto prepared cookie sheet. Spread with greased spatula to about 1/4" thickness and set aside until cool.
- Place chocolate in heavy saucepan and cook over low heat until melted. Spread melted chocolate over cooled nut mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup nuts.
- Set aside until chocolate is firmly set.
- Break into pieces as you would peanut brittle.
- Store in airtight container.
- NOTE: You may even want to drizzle some melted white chocolate or sprinkle red or green sprinkles for serving during the holidays.