Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This biscotti has an interesting flavor twist due to the cinnamon and cloves...works very well with the chocolate and coffee. (Recipe credited to Agate Cove Inn, California).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1 teaspoon strong coffee, cooled
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1 1⁄3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients listed).
- In a small bowl, whisk egg.
- Add coffee, milk and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients.
- If resulting mixture is too dry, add a little more coffee (1/4 tsp at a time).
- Add chips, nuts and cranberries.
- Turn dough onto well-floured board and with floured hands, form into 2 logs, each about 13-14 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide.
- Bake on greased and floured (or parchment-lined) baking sheet for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven (reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees at this point) and let cool for 8 minutes.
- Using serrated knife, cut on a diagonal into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Lay, cut side down, on baking sheet and bake another 6-8 minutes, one side only.
- For a harder biscotti, bake 5 minutes EACH side.
i also had to add more liquids to this dough - i added about an extra 1 T. or so of coffee and milk and 1 T. of canola oil. i also used pecans instead of walnuts. really yummy!
The FIRST time I tried this recipe was not positive. I added A LOT of coffee as the ingredients would not hold together. I ended up with large, very tasty, chunks. Not attractive enough to serve as biscotti, but great crumbled over vanilla bean ice cream! The SECOND time I made the following changes: I chopped the chocolate chips into small pieces. Did the same with the cranberries and continued using dry toasted chopped pecans and Splenda instead of sugar. I added 1/4 cup Canola Oil. Placed the baked logs in the freezer for 10 minutes before cutting. After step 13, placed biscotti on cooling rack overnight. YUM!
Excellent! The only subsitution I made was dried cherries for the cranberries. Made a double batch. Next time I will try it and substitute almonds for the walnuts and maybe almond liquer for the milk. MMMMM!