Recipe by Tony Rules The Kitchen... Sally Watches!
Compliments of the editors of Easy Home Cooking Magazine. The cooking time does not include the refrigeration time. These are delicious!
Top Review by Seasoned Cook
WONDERFUL FLAVOR!!! A No-Bake item! These bars are well worth all the steps in preparing them! I used pecans instead of hazelnuts and drizzle some melted chocolate on top. A special treat and a good bar to have as a snack. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Sally Cooks!
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 8" square baking pan with foil, pressing foil into corners to cover completely and leaving 1" overhang on sides.
- Spread oats on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until light golden brown. Let cool, then place in large bowl.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325.
- Spread hazelnuts and walnuts on baking sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes or just until cut sides begin to brown lightly. Let cool, then add to toasted oats.
- Stir in confectionary sugar, then set aside.
- Heat chocolate chips and shortening in small heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spread evenly on bottom of prepared 8" square pan.
- Let stand in cool place 15-20 minutes, or until chocolate mixture begins to set, but is not firm.
- Combine butter and salt in microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 20-30 seconds, or until butter is melted and foamy.
- Stir in corn syrup. Let cool slightly, and add vanilla.
- Stir corn syrup mixture into oat mixture, just until moistened.
- Gently spoon over chocolate, spreading evenly into corners.
- Score lightly into 4 strips, then score each strip into 6 pieces.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Remove bars from pan, lifting foil by edges.
- Place on cutting board; cut along score lines into 24 pieces. Remove foil.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.