Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Compliments of the editors of Easy Home Cooking Magazine. The cooking time does not include the refrigeration time. These are delicious!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 8" square baking pan with foil, pressing foil into corners to cover completely and leaving 1" overhang on sides.
- Spread oats on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until light golden brown. Let cool, then place in large bowl.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325.
- Spread hazelnuts and walnuts on baking sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes or just until cut sides begin to brown lightly. Let cool, then add to toasted oats.
- Stir in confectionary sugar, then set aside.
- Heat chocolate chips and shortening in small heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spread evenly on bottom of prepared 8" square pan.
- Let stand in cool place 15-20 minutes, or until chocolate mixture begins to set, but is not firm.
- Combine butter and salt in microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 20-30 seconds, or until butter is melted and foamy.
- Stir in corn syrup. Let cool slightly, and add vanilla.
- Stir corn syrup mixture into oat mixture, just until moistened.
- Gently spoon over chocolate, spreading evenly into corners.
- Score lightly into 4 strips, then score each strip into 6 pieces.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Remove bars from pan, lifting foil by edges.
- Place on cutting board; cut along score lines into 24 pieces. Remove foil.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
WONDERFUL FLAVOR!!! A No-Bake item! These bars are well worth all the steps in preparing them! I used pecans instead of hazelnuts and drizzle some melted chocolate on top. A special treat and a good bar to have as a snack. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Sally Cooks!