Prep 50 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the New York Times, I bring you Chocolate Mudslides! Be forewarned, these babies are very addictive! A cookie for true chocolate lovers. The simplicity of this recipe belies the intensity of the chocolate flavor. They prove to be as strong as they are addictive ;) Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened chocolate, in chips or chunks
- 8 cups bittersweet chocolate, in chips or chunks
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate and 4 cups of the bittersweet chocolate over a double-boiler (a simple double boiler can be set up by putting a metal bowl over a simmering pot), stirring periodically.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy and add the eggs one at a time, blending until mixed.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the butter mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix until combined and stir in the nuts and remaining chocolate pieces.
- Pour the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet or tray.
- Put the mixture into a refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes until slightly, but not completely, hardened.
- Reverse the sheet or tray onto another piece of parchment paper on a hard surface.
- Use a knife to divide the mixture into 20 squares.
- With your hands, roll each of the squares into a ball and evenly space them on one or two parchment-lined baking sheets (leave room for them to spread).
- Bake the cookies for 15 to 25 minutes, until crusty on the outside (they should still be gooey on the inside).
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before eating.
- Yield: 20 large cookies.
Bev these are good. I made half the recipe I had so much fun making these, I chopped the chocolate up the day before which made it a little easier baking day. With half of the recipe I got 30 meduim sized cookies which baked up between 8-10 minutes. I used a meduim size cookie scoop to make them a uniform size. I think next time I make these I want to try adding maybe some raspberry liqeur to them. As written they are very good and one that I will make again and perfect for gift giving.