Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this recipe in our local newspaper on the day following a recipe request. Haven't tried it myself, but it looks as if it will be fudgy and fabulous!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur) or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons sifted cocoa powder
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons Frangelico or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lightly grease a 10.
- 5" glass or ceramic pie plate and set aside.
- Put hazelnuts in a skillet over medium heat.
- Toast 4 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then chop finely.
- Measure 1/3 cup for filling and 1/2 cup for icing; set aside.
- For the filling: Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- Cream butter and granulated sugar until light in color in large mixing bowl, two to three minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time at 30 second intervals.
- On low speed, add Frangelico or vanilla, then dry ingredients.
- Mix only until blended.
- Stir cherries and 1/3 cup hazelnuts into batter.
- Scoop into pie plate and smooth top with back of a spoon.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- The center of the pie will be a little shiny and a toothpick inserted in the center should still be slightly moist.
- Set on a cooling rack.
- For icing: Melt butter over low heat in heavy 2-quart saucepan.
- Remove from heat and blend in cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, condensed milk and corn syrup.
- Mix as much as possible.
- Place back on low heat and stir constantly until icing becomes shiny and thin enough to spread.
- Remove from heat and stir in Frangelico and 1/4 cup of hazelnuts.
- Spread warm over still-warm pie.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup hazelnuts around edge.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice ream or slightly whipped whipped cream, if desired.