Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is an old favorite that I used to make for special occasions. It is quite heavy and more like fudge, so serve small wedges, especially after a meal.
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur
- 1 (9 inch) chocolate graham wafer pie crust
- 1 (15 ounce) can whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate, shaved, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup berries (optional)
- In double boiler or bowl set over hot water, melt chocolate and butter, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and mix in sugar until smooth.
- Return to low heat and add yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. You can also put all ingredients into a blender at this point, pulsing after each addition.
- Add cream and orange liqueur and mix well.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup warm liquid, stirring until mixed well. Let stand for 1 minute. Fold into mousse mixture.
- Spoon mousse into graham cracker pie shell and smooth over with spatula. May also be spooned into individual tart shells.
- Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours to overnight until well chilled and set. Pie will have the consistency of fudge rather than a traditional mousse.
- Top with whipped cream, pecans or berries and chocolate shavings. Cut into small wedges and serve.