Recipe by veruca salt
I got this recipe from my best friend when I told her I needed a quick delicious,but fast,desert to prepare for a dinner party.There is a recipe for a crust,but I used a pre-baked chocolate crust from the store,to save time.I also put a dallop of whip cream on the side of the plate with some chocolate shavings,instead of using a pastry bag and tip.This saved me a lot of time,and still resulted in a wonderfull pie.Enjoy.
- 21 chocolate sandwich style cookies
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces,room temperature
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 3⁄4 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- chocolate shavings (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR CRUST: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch diameter spring form pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides.
- Finely grind cookies in processor.
- Add butter and process until mixture is evenly moistened.
- Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of prepared pan to form a thin crust.
- Bake crust 5 min.
- Transfer crust to rack and cool completely.
- FOR MOUSSE: Combine chocolate,vanilla and salt in processor.
- Bring 1 cup cream to boil in a heavy small sauce pan.
- With processor running,gradually pour hot cream through feed tube.
- Process until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Cool to room temperature,stirring occasionaly.
- Beat 2 cups cream and sugar in large bowl to stiff peaks.
- Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour mousse into prepared crust.
- Chill until set,about 6 hours.
- Can be made 1 day ahead of time.
- Beat remaining 3/4 cup cream in medium bowl to firmpeaks.
- Transfer to pastry bag with a medium star tip.
- Pipe rosettes of cream around edge of pie.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.