Recipe by Perfect Pixie
This is a great treat to sit down to and watch charlie and the chocolate factory, if you have kids or a sweet tooth, it goes down very well
- 280 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 60 g unsalted butter, cut into small dice
- 8 egg whites
- 60 g sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 280 ml double cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop 240g of the chocolate and place it in a heatproof bowl.
- add the butter.
- place over a saucepan half filled with simmering water.
- gently melt the chocolate and butter.
- stirring until it's smooth, do this as slowly as possible, if the chocolate is allowed to get to hot it will become granular.
- whisk the egg whites until they turn white and soft peaks form, again do not overwhisk the whites or you will end up with a very granular mousse.
- add the sugar.
- stir the egg yolks into the chocolate.
- using a spatula, pour chocolate mousse into a large glass bowl and put in the fidge for 1 hr to set.
- when ready to serve, whip the cream until firm and spoon it over the chocolate mousse.
- grate the remaining chocolate over the cream, or let your children have fun with the decorating.