Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
An elegant chocolate mousse dessert. This looks especially good if made with a decorated chocolate collar, or sprinkled with edible gold leaf.
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons brewed espresso, warm
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Collar: Cut acetate ribbon into 6 (10-inch/25 cm) lengths.
- Lay a piece of acetate on a flat surface and spread 1 ounce of melted chocolate evenly over the entire surface using an offset spatula.
- Form the acetate into a teardrop shape, chocolate side inches
- Pinch the two ends of the acetate together.
- Sit the chocolate collar on a parchment or wax paper-lined tray.
- Repeat with the rest of the acetate.
- Refrigerate the collars until chocolate becomes firm.
- Chocolate Mousse:.
- Combine the water and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Whisk the simple syrup into the egg yolks until light and foamy.
- Fold in the espresso, Grand Marnier and melted chocolate.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold a soft peak, then fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Whip the cream until it holds a soft peak, and then fold into the mousse.
- Spoon the mousse into the collars.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Using an offset spatula gently transfer the mousse to a plate.
- Carefully remove the acetate. Serve immediately.