Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
My mum makes this every year around Christmas or New Years - it is so delicious! You can vary the flavor of ice cream with the seasons, though, like strawberry instead of peppermint, to make this a year - round dessert. The eight cup bowl is important - you can measure one by pouring 8 cups of water into a bowl. The recipe is from Marlene Sorosky's Season's Greetings. Don't let the number of steps dissuade from making it - it is really quite simple. Prep time includes everything that is not freezing, cook time is an approximation of total freezing solid time.
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 large eggs, separated,at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons Creme de Cacao
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 pints good quality vanilla ice cream
- 1 1⁄2 pints pink peppermint ice cream (or make your own by mixing red food coloring, peppermint flavoring, and chopped candy canes with van)
- candy canes or peppermint candy (to garnish)
- Line an 8 cup bowl with plastic wrap (don't worry about wrinkles).
- Melt the chocolate in double boiler or microwave, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Whisk in egg yolks and creme de cacao.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Increase speed to hight and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar, 1 tbsp.
- at a time, beating until stiff but moist peaks form.
- Stir one third of the whites into the chocolate/yolks mixture, then fold the chocolate into the rest of the whites until blended.
- Spoon the mousse into the 8 cup bowl and freeze for 1 hr.
- ,or until the mousse is firm enought to spread over the bottom and sides fo the bowls, forming a thin shell.
- Return the bowl to the freezer untilt he chocolate is firm.
- Soften vanilla ice cream slightly in refrigerator and spread it over the chocolate mousse.
- Return the mold to the freezer until firm.
- Soften the peppermint ice cream slightly in the fridge and spread it in the center of the mold, smooth the top.
- Cover the ball with foil and freeze until solid.
- (it can be frozen several months in advance!) Several hours before serving, invert the bowl onto a serving platter and remove the bowl and plastic wrap.
- Smooth the outside of the chocolate with a spatula, and decorate the top with crushed candy canes and line the bottom rim with vertical candy canes.
- Return to the freezer until firm.
- Remove the mold fromt he freezer 20- 30 minutes before serving to soften enought to cut wedges.