Recipe by Annisette
Chocolate crust, with a chocolate filling, and topped with a light coffee-flavored cream topping.
Top Review by Tisme
Great and easy recipe to make. I used a springform pan as I didnt have a fluted pan (my old one went to heaven). I made it as per the recipe except that I used a dark eating chocolate instead of baking chocolate..... and it was soooooooo nice. It looks so impressive when made and everyone loved it. So easy and so yummy I must go and buy another fluted pan so as I can make this again !!! Thanks for a great recipe Annisette.
- 8 ounces plain chocolate cookies, finely crushed
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 6 1⁄2 ounces dark baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- cocoa powder, for dusing
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush an 11-inch round fluted pan with melted butter or oil. Line the base of the pan with paper. Mix the chocolate crumbs and butter, and press into the pan. Refrigerate until firm.
- Make the Filling: In a small pan add the chocolate and cream. Stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in the yolks.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1 tablespoon water and set it aside until it is spongy. Stir to dissolve. Stir into the filling. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the filling and spread over the cookie base. Refrigerate until set.
- Just before serving, remove from the pan and spread with the topping.
- Make the topping: Dissolve instant coffee in 3 teaspoons water. Stir in the cream and sugar. Beat until soft peaks form. When ready to serve, spread the topping over the flan.
- Dust the top with sifted cocoa powder and serve.