Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Connie's recipe from family collection. This was originally taken from a 1986 newspaper clipping.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopesknox unflavored gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons espresso coffee, instant
- 2 3⁄4 cups milk
- 12 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (1 oz ea)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2⁄3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- In a medium saucepan, mix Knox Unflavored Gelatine with 1/2 cup sugar and coffee; blend in milk. Let stand 1 minute. Stir over low heat until gelatine is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add chocolate and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted. With a wire whip or rotary beater, beat mixture until chocolate is blended. Pour into large bowl and chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream with remaining sugar; reserve 1/2 cup for garnish. Fold remaining whipped cream into gelatine.
- Combine hazelnuts and wafers. Tilt stemmed glassware or dessert dished when alternately layer gelatine mixture with hazelnuts mixture; chill at least 30 minutes. Garnish with Hazelnut Brittle and reserved whipped cream.
- **Hazelnut Brittle (garnish)- In a large skillet, cook sugar (amount desired) over medium heat. As sugar begins to melt, gently tilt skillet until completely melted and golden brown. Stir in some chopped hazelnuts. Quickly pour onto greased cookie sheet and chill. To serve, break into pieces.